Jekka's Winter Culinary Collection - 4 * 1 Ltr Herb Plants
Jekka's Herb BoxRegular price £30.00
- Jekka's herb box collection
- Culinary herbs
- How to grow herbs
Herbs are a feast for the senses and Jekka's Winter Culinary Collection is the ideal gift or treat for your garden and kitchen.
Jekka has selected a range of evergreen herbs that will provide some Christmas colour and flavour to your garden and kitchen. These herbs can be used in many dishes and we have included a recipe card that you can try as well as some more recipes online in our herb-based recipe section.
All our herbs are grown in the UK and are in the larger 1 Ltr pot (approx. a 13cm diameter). This means they are more established and are grown to survive the British climate. We have included Jekka's guide to growing herbs to give you some helpful tips on caring for your plants and there are some more details in Jekka's blog on growing on your herbs.
Our herbs are not just for Christmas, and with the proper care, should provide pleasure for several years.
Limited availability. Only for delivery in the UK.
Jekka's Winter Culinary Collection contains:
- Chilean Guava (Ugni molinae) produces round dark red fruit known as “Queen Victoria’s Strawberries”. It gets covered in pretty pink flowers in summer but, unlike other Myrtles, its aromatic, evergreen leaves are not edible.
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) is a hardy biennial that can be grown in a container. Jekka advocates using Parsley for flavour not just as a garnish. It is a good source of Vitamins A & C and also aids digestion.
- Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor) is one of the few soft leaved hardy evergreen perennials making it a wonderful addition to any herb bed. The leaves have a nutty flavour and a slight taste of cucumber. Add to Gin & Tonic as a garnish. Read "All About Salad Burnet" in Jekka's blog.
- Silver Posie Thyme (Thymus ’Silver Posie’) is a very attractive thyme with its silver foliage. It will look great in a herb border or container. A culinary herb that compliments many dishes. Medicinally, Thyme aids digestion, helps break down fatty foods and has strong antiseptic properties that kills harmful bacteria. Thyme is our Herb of the Month for November, read Jekka's Guide for more information.
All herbs at Jekka's are grown for the British climate following organic principals and use a peat-free compost. Our pots are Roadside Recyclable Herb Pots.
Along with Jekka’s recipes from Jekka's Cook Book, we have partnered with Leiths School of Food & Wine to provide some seasonal recipes to try with the herbs in Jekka’s Christmas Collection. Find these online in our herb-based recipe section:
- Chilean Guava (Ugni molinae) has cranberry-sized, deep red berries that ripen in mid-autumn. For the first year or two when the harvest is modest, there is simply nothing better than to eat fresh in the garden in winter. When you have a bigger crop, the berries are also particularly fine in preserves or try Jekka’s Ugni Muffin recipe.
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) is for flavour not just a garnish. It has lovely clean slightly earthy, peppery flavour that brightens the taste of other foods and herbs. Looking to impress this Christmas, try making Jekka’s Parsley Herb Oil and serving with Scallops, Pea Purée and Prosciutto.
- Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor) leaves have a bitter yet cooling, cucumber flavour. The leaves can be picked all year round but the best season for harvesting is spring to early autumn. Use young leaves in salads, with egg dishes, with cream or cottage cheese and in drinks. For Christmas, we recommend using as a garnish for your Gin & Tonic.
- Silver Posie Thyme (Thymus ’Silver Posie’) is such a useful herb in the kitchen, the flavour of Thyme is gentle and is a combination of pepper and mint with slightly bitter notes. It is a ‘must-have’ in the kitchen and it compliments many dishes from roast chicken to baked fish. Try a Jekka’s Herby Sausage Rolls for some lovely comfort food or a party snack.
At Jekka’s we provide established and hardy herb plants that are grown following organic principals and to survive the UK climate. Please read Jekka's blog that contains her top steps to growing on your herbs.
There is also ‘Jekka’s Seasonal Tips’ series that covers growing and maintaining herbs in early spring, late spring, summer and autumn & winter. Together they form Jekka’s guide on how to grow herbs.
Our herbs can be grown either in containers or planted in the garden. Although some herbs will be quite happy indoors, most prefer being outside. Please see our indoor growing blog for more information.
For more information on growing herbs plants please see Jekkapedia, Jekka's blog or our FAQs page.
Jekka's Winter Culinary Collection contains:
- 4 1 Ltr herb plants. 1 Ltr pots have approx. a 13 cm diameter, these are larger and more established herbs than the typical 8 cm pot you will find elsewhere. Our pots are Roadside Recyclable Herb Pots.
- A "how to grow" guide with some of Jekka's tips on how to care and look after your herbs.
- A culinary recipe for you to try with more available online.
The image is only an indication of herbs available and the culinary herb box will vary depending on seasonal availability.
We are not able to take requests for specific herb varieties.
- Delivery - £10 post and packing.
- Only available for delivery in the UK.
- Delivery costs to mainland UK added at checkout (please see our Delivery Information if you happen to reside in an area that is considered to be 'remote' by our couriers).
- Jekka's Herb Boxes are sent separately to other orders.
- If you have included a mobile phone number or email with your order, you will receive a notification when your delivery is about to be sent.
- Please contact us any time on email@example.com for any questions or queries.
Local pick-up from the herb farm is available, please choose the option at checkout.
For our full terms and conditions please see here.