Brassica oleracea, Winter Kale
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: 90cm
• Spread: 60cm
Winter Kale is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Loam
• pH: Acid -Neutral pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: Sow from early spring to harvest as mature plants. Sow thinly and cover with a fine layer of compost and firm gently. Keep moist and at approx. 15°C.
• Outdoor Sowing: Sow from late spring to early summer for mature plants and until the early autumn for baby leaf. Sow thinly in rows 30cm apart. Keep moist.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.