Origanum majorana, Sweet Marjoram, Knotted Marjoram
Tiny white tubular flowers that grow around a green centre in a knot shape. Very aromatic, pale green, soft, oval leaves. Culinary; excellent flavour, use with meat, tomatoes and pasta.
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Perennial often grown as an Annual
• Height: 30cm
• Spread: 30cm
• Soil type: Loam, Chalk, Sand, Free Draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour: White
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: Do not take medicinally during pregnancy. Do not take the essential oil internally.
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, do not cover the seeds. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, into a well-drained soil, in a sheltered sunny site.
• Propagation: Cuttings
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
In particular, Jekka's "How to Grow It" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.