- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Saponaria officinalis , Soapwort
• Hardiness: H7 (-20 and below)
• Type: Hardy Perennial
• Height: up to 1m
• Spread: 60cm
Soapwort is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Clay, Chalk, Sand, Free Draining
• pH: Alkaline Neutral
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour: Pink
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Medicinal (Read Jekka's Guide To Medicinal Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: Yes (Read Jekka's Guide to Pollinators for more information)
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: Yes
• Caution: Poisonous to fish so do not plant near water.
• Indoor Sowing: In autumn, into prepared pots, cover with glass and winter outside.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early autumn, into dry to medium, well-drained soil, in full sun. Thin to 60cm apart.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow herb seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.
Want to know more? You can read more about our sustainability approach to growing herbs in one of Jekka's Blogs. See also: