Allium cepa 'Rossa da Inverno Sel Rubino'
- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Allium cepa 'Rossa da Inverno Sel Rubino', Red Salad Onion
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Hardy Perennial
• Height: 60cm
• Spread: 50cm
Red Salad Onion is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Sand, Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: Sow in early spring in prepared plug trays or pots Transplant out when 3-5 leaves have established and all threat of frost has passed.
• Outdoor Sowing: From late spring to late summer direct sow 3 seeds every 2-5 cm in rows 15-20 cm apart. Repeat sowing every 3 weeks for continuous supply.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow herb seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.
Want to know more? You can read more about our sustainability approach to growing herbs in one of Jekka's Blogs. See also: