Brassica rapa var. japonica 'Red Empire'
Brassica rapa var. japonica 'Red Empire' , Red Mizuna
The darkest red leaf Mizuna. Its upright habit makes it easy to harvest. Once cut it is a productive cut and come again salad crop, the mature leaves are lovely in stir-fry dishes.
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: 18cm
• Spread: 18cm
Red Mizuna is available to buy online as vegetable herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Loam
• pH: Acid -Neutral pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, direct into pots, cover with perlite. Transplant to the garden once all threat of frost has past.
• Outdoor Sowing: From mid-spring until mid-summer, into a prepared site, where the soil is rich and lightly shaded. Thin seedlings to 20cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: (Read Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow It" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.