Lactuca sativa 'Batavian Red'
- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Lactuca sativa 'Batavian Red', Red Lettuce
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Half Hardy Annual
• Height: 20cm
• Spread: 15cm
Red Lettuce is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Bushy
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, direct into pots. Sow thinly, cover with perlite.
• Outdoor Sowing: In mid spring until mid summer, into rich and lightly shaded soil. Thin to 20cm apart. Keep watered in summer. Dry soils often trigger bolting.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.