Ocimum basilicum var. purpurascens 'Red Shiraz'
Ocimum basilicum var. purpurascens 'Red Shiraz', Purple Basil
Clusters of small pink/mauve tubular flowers in summer. Light purple stems. Dark purple, oval pointed leaves that have a very spicy warm flavour. Culinary; great added to rice and pastas as a stunning colour contrast. Also makes a lovely panacotta.
• Hardiness: H1c (5 to 10C)
• Type: Frost tender Annual
• Height: 45cm
• Spread: 30cm
Available as herb seeds.
• Soil type:
• Flowering colour: Mulberry, Purple
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In late spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, cover with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination. Only water seedlings before midday.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, into a rich well-drained soil, in a sheltered, sunny position. Thin to 20cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.