Tropaeolum majus Alaska Series
Tropaeolum majus Alaska Series, Nasturtium Alaska
Red/orange helmet shaped flowers in summer to early autumn. Variegated cream/white and green leaves. Culinary; the leaves and flowers may be used in salads.
• Hardiness: H2 (1 to 5C)
• Type: Half hardy Annual
• Height: 20cm
• Spread: 30cm
• Soil type: Sand, Chalk, Loam
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Bushy
• Flowering colour: Red, Orange
• Flowering time: Summer, Early Autumn
• Uses: Culinary
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, 1 seed per plug or 3-4 per pot. Place in a light warm greenhouse or windowsill.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, when all threat of frost has passed. Sow 15-20cm apart in a well-drained soil, full sun or partial shade.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.