Monarda citriodora, Lemon Bergamot, Lemon Bee Balm
Beautiful lilac flowers surrounded by mauve bracts with a pink tinge. Lemon scented, bright green, toothed, slightly hairy green leaves. Native to North America where it is used medicinally. Culinary; the flower petals and leaves are edible.
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: up to 1.2m
• Spread: 45cm
• Soil type: Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour: Lilac
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, cover seeds with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, into a free draining soil in a sunny position. Thin to 35cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
In particular, Jekka's "How to Grow It" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.