Polemonium caeruleum , Jacob's Ladder
Clusters of small cup shaped blue/white flowers in summer. Pinnately divided mid green leaves. Traditional medicinal herb.
• Hardiness: H7 (-20 and below)
• Type: Hardy Perennial
• Height: up to 90cm
• Spread: 45cm%
Available as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Sand, Clay, Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Bushy
• Flowering colour: Blue, White
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: Yes
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, into prepared plug trays or pots. Sow thinly, cover the seeds with a thin layer of compost.
• Outdoor Sowing: In late spring, in a fertile well draining soil. Thin seedlings to 30cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.