Amaranthus tricolor 'Green Giant’
Amaranthus tricolor icolor 'Green Giant’, Green Amaranth, Calaloo, Chinese Spinach, Yin choi, Lin Choi
• Hardiness: H2 (1 to 5C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: up to 1.5m
• Spread: 30cm
Green Amaranth is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Clay, Sand, Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Neutral - Alkaline pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, in prepared plug trays or pots. Transplant the plants outdoors when all threat of frost has gone.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, after all threat of frost has finished, direct into a prepared site. Sow 30 cm apart, in rows 60 cm apart. For longer cropping, sow every fortnight.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.