- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Galega officinalis, Goat's Rue
• Hardiness: H7 (-20 and below)
• Type: Hardy Perennial
• Height: up to 1.5m
• Spread: up to 1m
Goat's Rue is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Sand, Clay, Chalk Loam
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Bushy
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Medicinal (Read Jekka's Guide To Medicinal Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: Yes
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, into prepared plug trays or pots. Sow thinly, cover with perlite.
• Outdoor Sowing: In spring, into a deep moisture-retaining soil. Thin to 75cm apart.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow herb seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.
Want to know more? You can read more about our sustainability approach to growing herbs in one of Jekka's Blogs. See also: