Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce 'di Firenze'
- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce 'di Firenze', Florence Fennel
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Perennial
• Height: up to 1.8m
• Spread: up to 1.5m
Florence Fennel is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Light Loam
• pH: Neutral pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, in prepared plug trays or pots. The roots hate being disturbed so plant out as soon as the roots fill the container. Plant out 30 cm apart.
• Outdoor Sowing: In mid spring sow directly into the soil, 15mm deep in rows 30cm apart, thin to 30cm apart. Earth up, mound the soil around the bulbs, as they start to swell from mid-summer until mid-autumn. This will blanch the bulbs and protect from early frosts.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow herb seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.
Want to know more? You can read more about our sustainability approach to growing herbs in one of Jekka's Blogs. See also: