Echinacea purpurea, Echinacea, Purple Coneflower
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Herbaceous Perennial
• Height: up to 1.2m
• Spread: 45cm
Echinacea is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Light Loam, Free draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour: Purple, Pink
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Medicinal (Read Jekka's Guide To Medicinal Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: If you are allergic to the Asteraceae family, daisy, you could be allergic to this herb.
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, cover seeds with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, In a prepared sunny site where the soil is rich and well drained. Thin seedlings to 30cm.
• Propagation: Division
• Maintenance: (Read Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.