Cynara cardunculus, Cardoon
Large thistle like blue/violet flowers in summer, large silver/grey serrated leaves. Culinary; blanch leaves in winter to produce edible leaf ribs. Use as a vegetable in soups.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Evergreen Perennial
• Height: up to 2.5m
• Spread: 1.2m
• Soil type: Sand, Fertile Loam
• pH: Acid -Neutral pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour: Blue, Violet
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, cover seeds with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, into a prepared site. Thin seedlings to 1m apart.
• Propagation: Division
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
At Jekka’s we sell herbs in 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr pots. These are established and hardy herb plants that are grown following organic principals and to survive the UK climate. Please read Jekka's blog that contains her top steps to growing on your herbs.
If you think your herbs need a little more attention we always recommend an environmentally friendly solution, and these are Jekka's top three:
- Maxicrop liquid seaweed: 'Feed on Fridays' as Jekka always says for all round good plant health.
- SB Invigorator: a safe and effective insecticide and fungicide to help control a wide range of pest species
- Epsom salts: the horticultural equivalent of what you put in your bath to top up magnesium and stop orange leaves.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.