Cynara scolymus 'Violet Globe'
Cynara scolymus 'Violet Globe', Artichoke Violet Globe
Artichoke Violet Globe has grey leaves and large purple heads with purple flowers. The unopened heads are boiled and eaten hot with butter or hollandaise sauce. Hearts can be baked, fried or marinated. Young leaves may be eaten as a vegetable. Grow in rich well drained soil in full sun. Not only is this a lovely culinary vegetable it is also a stunning structural plant.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Perennial
• Height: up to 1.5m
• Spread: 1.2m
Artichoke Violet Globe is available to buy online as vegetable herb seeds.
• Soil type: Sand, Fertile Loam
• pH: Acid -Neutral pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, into prepared plug trays or pots. Transplant out when 3-5 leaves have established and all threat of frost has passed
• Outdoor Sowing: From mid-spring to mid-summer, into fertile, well-drained soil. Thin seedlings to 60cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: (Read Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow It" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.