Jekka's Grow At Home Herb Veg Kit
For the gardenRegular price £15.00
Jekka's grow at home herb veg kit is our new kit and all you need to start growing and using herbs and vegetables; just add love and water. Perfect for children and adults alike.
At Jekka's we believe herbs are the most wonderfully diverse and useful plants, coming in all shapes and sizes, textures, colours, perfumes and uses. Not only do they turn a meal into a feast but a simple herb infusion can ease tension and lift the spirits.
As mentioned in Jekka's guide to culinary herbs, in the past, vegetables were herbs. The word vegetable, meaning a plant grown for food, was not derived until the 17th century. Previously edible plants were all known as 'Pot Herbs,' referring to the cooking pot over the open fire not, as commonly believed, that they are grown in a pot.
We wish everyone to enjoy herbs and have developed this kit as a good starting point. It contains Jekka's special hand-mixed seedling compost as well as 5 packets of our seeds.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
Jekka's grow at home herb kit contains the following 5 individual packets of culinary herb seeds:
Broad leaved sorrel (Rumex acetosa): One of the staples of our family. Sorrel makes a wonderful soup and the recipe can be found in Jekka's Cookbook. The young leaves can be used in salads and older leaves blanched like spinach.
- Bulls blood beetroot (Beta vulgaris 'Bulls Blood): This beetroot has stunning deep purple leaves that can be eaten when young. They are delicious both in salads or as a vegetable. You can also pull the roots to eat as a beetroot when large enough.
- Celery leaf (Apium graveolens): The orginial Celery, a wonderful herb for the kitchen with many culinary uses. The young leaves and seeds can be used in salads, soups, sauces and in baking.
Rhubarb chard (Beta vulgaris 'Ruby Chard'): The attractive green and red veined leaves can be eaten raw when young or steamed to be served as a vegetable.
- Welsh onion (Allium fistulosum): This herb has large creamy white globe shaped edible flowers in the second year. The whole plant is edible and can be combines well with eggs, cheese, salads and in stir fry dishes.
Jekka’s grow at home herb kit contains:
- 5 fibre pots – environmentally friendly, peat free, biodegradable pots*;
- Compost – Jekka’s hand-made special seedling mix;
- Perlite – for covering the seeds;
- 5 packets of seeds – our untreated seeds that can be used to grow organic herb plants;
- 5 labels – recycled lollypop sticks;
- An introductory guide
*Fibre pot shape might differ to those in product image.