Jekka's Grow At Home Herb Veg Kit
Jekka's KitRegular price £16.00
- Jekka's Growing Herb Tips
Jekka's grow at home herb veg kit is our new kit and all you need to start growing and using herbs and vegetables; just add love and water. Perfect for children and adults alike.
At Jekka's we believe herbs are the most wonderfully diverse and useful plants, coming in all shapes and sizes, textures, colours, perfumes and uses. Not only do they turn a meal into a feast but a simple herb infusion can ease tension and lift the spirits.
As mentioned in Jekka's guide to culinary herbs, in the past, vegetables were herbs. The word vegetable, meaning a plant grown for food, was not derived until the 17th century. Previously edible plants were all known as 'Pot Herbs,' referring to the cooking pot over the open fire not, as commonly believed, that they are grown in a pot.
We wish everyone to enjoy herbs and have developed this kit as a good starting point. It contains Jekka's special hand-mixed seedling compost as well as 5 packets of our seeds.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
Subscribe and save with Jekka’s Grow at Home Subscription
The perfect gift!
Jekka's grow at home herb kit contains the following 5 individual packets of culinary herb seeds:
Broad Leaved Sorrel (Rumex acetosa): One of the staples of our family. Sorrel makes a wonderful soup and the recipe can be found in Jekka's Cookbook. The young leaves can be used in salads and older leaves blanched like spinach.
- Bulls Blood Beetroot (Beta vulgaris 'Bulls Blood): This beetroot has stunning deep purple leaves that can be eaten when young. They are delicious both in salads or as a vegetable. You can also pull the roots to eat as a beetroot when large enough.
- Cavolo Nero (Brassica oleracea 'Nero di Toscana'): a popular, versatile leaf cabbage. It has a dark green, rather oval savoyed leaf at baby leaf stage that matures to a tall "rabbit ear" leaf, which is often found in supermarkets.
- Celery Leaf (Apium graveolens): The orginial Celery, a wonderful herb for the kitchen with many culinary uses. The young leaves and seeds can be used in salads, soups, sauces and in baking.
Rhubarb Chard (Beta vulgaris 'Ruby Chard'): The attractive green and red veined leaves can be eaten raw when young or steamed to be served as a vegetable.
Jekka’s grow at home herb kit contains:
- 5 fibre pots – environmentally friendly, peat free, biodegradable pots*;
- Compost – Jekka’s hand-made special seedling mix, which is organic (though not certified), vegan and peat free;
- Perlite – for covering the seeds;
- 5 packets of seeds – our untreated seeds that can be used to grow organic herb plants;
- 5 labels – recycled lollypop sticks;
- An introductory guide
Jekka's grow at home herb kits can be followed on by Jekka's "Grow On" Kit - 1 ltr pots unless you wish to plant them straight out.
Try Jekka's Grow At Home Subscription to regularly receive the joy of herbs through one of our culinary herb seed kits or a gift.
*Fibre pot shape might differ to those in product image.
To help you get the best out of Jekka's Grow At Home Herb Kits, watch Jekka's video below where she sows herb seeds into the biodegradable pots. Get growing herbs with Jekka's!
Following our root of being ‘green, environmentally friendly and sustainable', we use eco-kraft boxes that are FSC approved and do not use any plastic in the posting of our products.
All our orders are dispatched with a standard delivery note, which includes addresses and items ordered but no prices. We will also include any gift note you have written at check-out.
"I would like to thank the person who packed my box of seeds, it was so carefully sealed with tape in the most exact and neat way I have ever received a packet or parcel! Amazing! They deserve a gold star."
Local pick-up from the herb farm is available, please choose the option at checkout. You can collect your orders any weekday between 8:30 am and 4 pm.
Postage, apart from our Culinary Herb Boxes, is by Royal Mail.
Free standard postage in the UK for orders over £75 (inc. VAT).
For orders to be delivered outside the UK, we strongly advise checking with your local customs office prior to placing the order online. Please note, for seed orders, our seeds have UK Plant Passports and carry the information required by the UK’s seed marketing regulations. However, we do not issue phytosanitary (health) certificates (PC). International orders are placed at your (the customers) risk.
To track your order, please select the 'Tracked' option at checkout.
For our delivery and returns information please see:
Please see our Terms and Conditions for full details.