Crambe maritima, Sea Kale
Honey scented white flowers. Attractive fleshy grey/green leaves with crinkled edges. Culinary; blanch leaves in autumn for eating in the spring. The leaves are rich in vitamin C and magnesium.
• Hardiness: H4 (-5 to -10C)
• Type: Herbaceous Perennial
• Height: 75cm
• Spread: 60cm
• Soil type: Sand, Light Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Neutral - Alkaline pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour: White
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: Yes
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In autumn, direct into pots. Place container in a cold frame for the winter. Slow germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: Do not bother, germination is erratic. Plant autumn sown seedlings 60cm apart in late spring.
• Propagation: Division
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
At Jekka’s we sell herbs in 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr pots. These are established and hardy herb plants that are grown following organic principals and to survive the UK climate. Please read Jekka's blog that contains her top steps to growing on your herbs.
Our herbs are designed to be grown in containers or planted in the garden. Although some herbs will be quite happy indoors, most prefer being outside. Please see our indoor growing blog for more information.
If you think your herbs need a little more attention we always recommend an environmentally friendly solution, and these are Jekka's top three:
- Maxicrop liquid seaweed: 'Feed on Fridays' as Jekka always says for all round good plant health.
- SB Invigorator: a safe and effective insecticide and fungicide to help control a wide range of pest species
- Epsom salts: the horticultural equivalent of what you put in your bath to top up magnesium and stop orange leaves.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.