Allium tuberosum, Garlic Chives, Chinese Chives
White star shaped flowers. Flat, solid, narrow lanced shaped, green, mild garlic flavoured leaves. Culinary; use leaves and flowers in salads.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Perennial
• Height: 45cm
• Spread: 30cm
• Soil type: Sand, Light Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour: White
• Flowering time: Late Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring in prepared plug trays or pots, cover seeds with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination. Cover seeds with perlite.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer direct into a prepared site. Thin seedlings to 10cm apart.
• Propagation: Division
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: May be cut to within 3cm of the ground 4 times a year to maintain supply of fresh leaves. Leaves do not dry well; refrigerated leaves in sealed plastic bag will store for 7 days, or freeze chopped leaves into ice cubes. Cut flowers when fully open for use in salads and sauces.
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
At Jekka’s we sell herbs in 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr pots. These are established and hardy herb plants that are grown following organic principals and to survive the UK climate. Please read Jekka's blog that contains her top steps to growing on your herbs.
If you think your herbs need a little more attention we always recommend an environmentally friendly solution, and these are Jekka's top three:
- Maxicrop liquid seaweed: 'Feed on Fridays' as Jekka always says for all round good plant health.
- SB Invigorator: a safe and effective insecticide and fungicide to help control a wide range of pest species
- Epsom salts: the horticultural equivalent of what you put in your bath to top up magnesium and stop orange leaves.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.