Silybum marianum , Milk Thistle
Purple thistle like flower-heads with spiny bracts, in the second year. Large, spiny dark green leaves with prominent white veins that form a rosette. Important medicinal herb.
• Hardiness: H4 (-5 to -10C)
• Type: Hardy Biennial
• Height: up to 1m
• Spread: 45cm
Available as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Loam , Sand Well Drained
• pH: Neutral - Alkaline pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour: Purple
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: Yes
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, cover with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, into well-drained soil in sunny position. Thin to 45cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.