Chenopodium giganteum , Tree Spinach, Giant Goosefoot
Tiny greenish yellow flowers. The leaves are mid green, arrow shaped with serrated edges. The new young growth is a stunning magenta colour. Culinary; the young leaves are rich in iron calcium and vitamins B1 and C, add to salads.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: up to 2m
• Spread: 45cm
Available as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Loam
• pH: Universal pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour: Green, Yellow
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: in early spring, into prepared plug trays or pots, cover seeds with perlite. Bottom heat, 18°C, aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer. Thin seedlings to 20cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.