Brassica oleracea 'Nero di Toscana'
- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Brassica oleracea 'Nero di Toscana', Cavolo Nero
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: 90cm
• Spread: 60cm
Cavolo Nero is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Loam
• pH: Acid -Neutral pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, direct into pots, cover with perlite.
• Outdoor Sowing: From mid-summer, into a prepared site, where the soil is rich and lightly shaded. Sow seeds 50cm apart.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.
Want to know more? You can read more about our sustainability approach to growing herbs in one of Jekka's Blogs. See also: