During the colder months and the shorter days we all need a ‘pick me up’. Below are Jekka's top four homemade ‘pick me ups’ ranging from wellness tonics to soothing cough remedies:
- Jekka's Chamomile wellness tonic
- Jekka's relaxing herbal bath
- Jekka’s sunshine shot
- Jekka's soothing syrup
These homemade remedies are adapted from Jekka's mother’s and grandmother’s recipes that she was given as a child and hence, are not meant to replace the advice or guidance from qualified practitioners. No one at Jekka's are trained Medical Herbalists, if you wish to find a Medical Herbalists we recommend using the resources provided by our friends at the National Institute of Medical Herbalists.
Jekka's Chamomile wellness tonic
Jekka's Chamomile wellness tonic combines the wellbeing properties of Chamomile, ginger, lemon and honey to make the perfect blend. Overall, this tonic promotes both relaxation and sleep plus it tastes wonderful.
The ingredients of Jekka's Chamomile wellness tonic are:
- Chamomile that helps ease anxiety and also helps if you have trouble falling asleep due to its calming properties,
- Ginger which settles the stomach,
- Lemon that aids digestions,
- Honey that is rich in antioxidants.
- 1 tbsp or 1 tea bag of Jekka's Good Night Herbal Infusion
- A slice of ginger.
- A slice of lemon.
- A teaspoon of Jekka's Herb Farm honey.
- Add Jekka's Good Night Herbal Infusion into a small cafeteria or your chosen infuser.
- Add the ginger.
- Fill with boiled water, cover and infuse for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the infused herbal infusion over a slice of lemon and sweeten with a teaspoon of honey.
Jekka's relaxing herbal bath
Jekka's relaxing herbal bath enlivens the senses and restores the spirit. It is especially good for soothing muscles when one has been chilled or wet through especially from a day working in the garden.
Breathing in the aroma of Mint calms the mind and Lavender promotes relaxation and balance that results in a more restful sleep. Jekka's perfect way to naturally de-stress and relax after a hard day on the Herb farm.
Jekka’s sunshine shot
Jekka's sunshine shot is great for improving and supporting your gut health. It contains:
- Carrots that are high in Vitamin K1, potassium and antioxidants.
- Banana which is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with energy giving carbs, and heart healthy potassium, they have a soothing effect on the gut. They are also a great fuel for gut bacteria.
- Turmeric that is renowned for being anti-inflammatory.
- Ginger that reduces bad cholesterol and speeds up emptying the stomach so very beneficial if you suffer from indigestion It also improves the brain function and is renowned for clearing brain fog.
- Orange juice that is high in antioxidants and micronutrients like vitamin C, folate, and potassium.
- 1 Banana
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- ½ tsp of grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 5 tbsp orange juice,
- Put all the ingredients into a blender or nutri bullet and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy.
Jekka's soothing syrup
This is an excellent cough syrup for soothing a prickly throat. Combing the antioxidant properties of both honey and onion makes it antimicrobial, healing and soothing as well as tasting really good.
Want to know more?
The information provided here and throughout www.jekkas.com is for educational interest only and is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat significant health problems. Any serious or long-term health concerns should always be discussed with a healthcare professional.
As with all alternative medicines and plants with purported medicinal benefits it is important to inform your doctor or health care provider that you are using them; this helps to ensure safe and coordinated care. We can accept no liability for any side effect or adverse reaction from any allergy or any other cause of harm that may arise. It is important that you consult a licensed medical expert before making any changes to your diet.