This Garlic and Lemon Elixir is a really great winter tonic; it was recently discussed on Love Your Weekend with Alan Titchmarsh.
Both ingredients of this elixir purportedly have health benefits:
- Garlic has been scientifically shown to have promising effects on cholesterol levels and has long be used as a preventative from colds and flu.
- A whole lemon has been found to be beneficial to the immune system and the compound found in the peel, limonene, is said to reduce inflammation.
To make the Garlic and Lemon Elixir
- 2 lemons
- 2 heads of garlic or 20 cloves
- 1 litre of filtered or mineral water
- Sterilised bottles
- Blitz the garlic and lemon, peel, pith and all in a food processor.
- Put the blitz mixture into a small pan, add the water, stir well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Then bring the mixture very very slowly to the boil, once boiling point has been met turn the heat off and let the mixture cool naturally.
- Once cool, strain the liquid through a sieve lined with muslin.
- Pour into sterilised bottles, label and date, store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
How to take:
- Drink 50ml per day either a couple of hours before the meal or a couple of hours after.
- Continue until the elixir is finished, that will be in about 3 weeks.
- Take a break of a week before making another batch, repeat for 3 weeks then stop for a couple of months.
Want to learn more?
As with all alternative medicines and plants with purported medicinal benefits it is important to inform your doctor or health care provider that you are using them; this helps to ensure safe and coordinated care. We can accept no liability for any side effect or adverse reaction from any allergy or any other cause of harm that may arise. It is important that you consult a licensed medical expert before making any changes to your diet.