Cichorium intybus 'Palla Rossa'
Cichorium intybus 'Palla Rossa', Red Chicory
Palla Rossa is a radicchio variety from Chioggia. It forms solid violet heads with white leaf ribs. The outer leaves are (as with almost all radicchio varieties) green, and the typical red colour will only set in once the nights get colder in autumn.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Perennial
• Height: Up to 1m
• Spread: 30cm
Red Chicory is available to buy online as vegetable herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Light Loam
• pH: Neutral Acid
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In late summer, into prepared plug trays or pots. Winter young plants in a cold frame.
• Outdoor Sowing: In mid-spring, into a prepared site. Thin seedlings to 20cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: (Read Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.