Beta vulgaris 'Rainbow Chard'
Beta vulgaris 'Rainbow Chard', Rainbow Chard
The leaf ribs are a well-balanced blend of bright colours on a robust, leafy plant making this the most colourful of all the leaf beets. Pick the generous crop of leaves young and eat raw as multicoloured baby salad leaves, or cook leaves and midribs separately as a dual-purpose side vegetable. The midribs are make a tasty vegetable dish in their own right.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Biennial
• Height: 45cm
• Spread: 25cm
Rainbow Chard is available to buy online as vegetable herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Light Loam
• pH: Neutral - Alkaline pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: Sow in early spring in prepared plug trays or pots, cover seeds with perlite. Bottom heat, 15°C aids germination.
• Outdoor Sowing: Sow in late spring into a prepared site of a deep rich moist soil. Seedlings appear 14-28 days. Thin seedlings to 20cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: (Read Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow It" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.