Cichorium intybus 'Italiko Rosso'
Cichorium intybus 'Italiko Rosso', Green Chicory
This chicory has dark green leaves that are serrated with distinctive red ribs that look similar to its cousin, the dandelion. It has a bitter, spicy flavour that is a very popular addition to salads. Great variety for baby-leaf that can be eaten raw as a green salad. Also can be cooked as a vegetable including, steamed, sautéed, grilled and stir fried.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Perennial
• Height: Up to 1m
• Spread: 30cm
Green Chicory is available to buy online as vegetable herb seeds.
• Soil type: Fertile Light Loam
• pH: Neutral Acid
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: No
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In mid-spring, into prepared plug trays or pots. Transplant out when 3-5 leaves have established and all threat of frost has passed.
• Outdoor Sowing: In late summer, into a prepared site. Thin seedlings to 20cm apart.
• Propagation: N/A
• Maintenance: (Read Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow It" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.