Sanguisorba minor, Salad Burnet, Pimpernel
Tiny magenta flowers are borne in compact thimble shaped heads on flowering stalks that stand a foot or so above the leaves. Soft grey/green leaves are divided into neat ovals with toothed edges. Culinary; the leaves are lovely in winter salads.
• Hardiness: H5 (-10 to -15C)
• Type: Evergreen Perennial
• Height: up to 60cm
• Spread: 30cm
• Soil type: Sand, Chalk, Loam, Clay, Free Draining
• pH: Neutral - Alkaline pH
• Habit: Clump
• Flowering colour: Magenta
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal
• Attracts pollinators: Yes
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: Yes
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In spring or autumn. Autumn sowing, cover with glass and winter under cover.
• Outdoor Sowing: In spring, into well-drained soil, sun or light shade. Thin to 30cm apart.
• Propagation: Division
• Maintenance: N/A
• Harvest: N/A
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
At Jekka’s we sell herbs in 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr pots. These are established and hardy herb plants that are grown following organic principals and to survive the UK climate. Please read Jekka's blog that contains her top steps to growing on your herbs.
Our herbs are designed to be grown in containers or planted in the garden. Although some herbs will be quite happy indoors, most prefer being outside. Please see our indoor growing blog for more information.
If you think your herbs need a little more attention we always recommend an environmentally friendly solution, and these are Jekka's top three:
- Maxicrop liquid seaweed: 'Feed on Fridays' as Jekka always says for all round good plant health.
- SB Invigorator: a safe and effective insecticide and fungicide to help control a wide range of pest species
- Epsom salts: the horticultural equivalent of what you put in your bath to top up magnesium and stop orange leaves.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.