Centella asiatica, Gotu Kola, Indian Pennywort, Tiger Gras
• Hardiness: H3 (1 to -5C)
• Type: Partial Evergreen
• Height: 8cm
• Spread: Indefinite
• Soil type: Damp Loam
• pH: Acid -Neutral pH
• Habit: Mat forming, Creeping
• Flowering colour: Magenta
• Flowering time: Summer
• Uses: Culinary & Medicinal (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs and Medicinal Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: Excessive use both internally or externally can cause itching, headaches and even unconsciousness.
Native to Asia and also known as Brahmi or Gotu kola, this important herb has numerous traditional and contemporary uses.
Traditionally seen as a protective nerve, skin and digestive tonic, it has also gained popularity where wound healing and effective scar formation are important issues.
Other historical applications include use as a restorative to protect against the effects of ageing on the body, where it is often seen as a regulatory herb to assist in supporting and balancing nerves, hormones and the immune system.
Herbalists have also used it to help with skin infections and psoriasis. More recently it has gained some interest for use in supporting those with symptoms of mental turbulence and behavioural issues.
Caution: Can increase the actions of drugs used to treat anxiety.
Please note: The information provided here is for educational interest only and is not intended to be used to diagnose or treat significant health problems. Any serious or long-term health concerns should always be discussed with a healthcare professional.
See our blog for more information about the National Institute of Medical Herbalists
At Jekka’s we sell herbs in 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr pots. These are established and hardy herb plants that are grown following organic principals and to survive the UK climate. Please read Jekka's blog that contains her top steps to growing on your herbs.
Our herbs are designed to be grown in containers or planted in the garden. Although some herbs will be quite happy indoors, most prefer being outside. Please see our indoor growing blog for more information.
If you think your herbs need a little more attention we always recommend an environmentally friendly solution, and these are Jekka's top three:
- Maxicrop liquid seaweed: 'Feed on Fridays' as Jekka always says for all round good plant health.
- SB Invigorator: a safe and effective insecticide and fungicide to help control a wide range of pest species
- Epsom salts: the horticultural equivalent of what you put in your bath to top up magnesium and stop orange leaves.
Please note, the compost in Jekka's Kits will have enough natural food for approximately 6 weeks.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants.