Amaranthus tricolor 'Green Giant’
- Available as
- How to sow seeds
Amaranthus tricolor 'Green Giant', Green Amaranth, Calaloo, Chinese Spinach, Yin choi, Lin Choi
• Hardiness: H2 (1 to 5C)
• Type: Annual
• Height: up to 1.5m
• Spread: 30cm
Green Amaranth is available to buy online as herb seeds.
• Soil type: Clay, Sand, Loam, Free Draining
• pH: Neutral - Alkaline pH
• Habit: Upright
• Flowering colour:
• Flowering time:
• Uses: Culinary (Read Jekka's Guide To Culinary Herbs for more information)
• Attracts pollinators: No
• Container suitability: Yes
• UK native: No
• Caution: N/A
• Indoor Sowing: In early spring, in prepared plug trays or pots. Transplant the plants outdoors when all threat of frost has gone.
• Outdoor Sowing: In early summer, after all threat of frost has finished, direct into a prepared site. Sow 30 cm apart, in rows 60 cm apart. For longer cropping, sow every fortnight.
• Maintenance: (See Jekka's Blogs on Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer and Autumn maintenance)
• Harvest: N/A
For information on growing herbs from seeds please see Jekka's blogs on sowing herb seeds, sowing your winter culinary herbs or how to grow vegetables.
Jekka's "How to Grow Herbs" videos, includes Jekka's video on how to sow herb seeds for an informative step-by-step guide to seed sowing. For a hands-on herb experience, where you will learn how to grow herbs, check out our Master Classes.
Growing indoors? Check out Jekka's blog on indoor herb gardening for some advice.
For seeds, try Jekka's Seed Club Subscription to regularly receive different sustainable culinary herb seeds for you to try. If you require pots or compost, see Jekka's Herb Kits that includes Jekka's Seed Sowing Kit. This kit contains all you need to sow a collection of herb seeds.
For more information on growing herbs plants please see Jekkapedia, Jekka's blog or our FAQs page.
One of our three core roots is that we are Environmentally Conscious and for the past 30 years all the herbs grown at Jekka’s have been raised following sustainable, environmentally friendly and organic approaches resulting in a remarkable biodiversity at the herb farm.
Our herb seeds are also untreated and can be used to grow organic herb plants. Our seeds are hand packed into gassine bags, which are fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable. These bags are then put into beautifully illustrated paper seed packets. Therefore, our environmental footprint is small.
Want to know more? You can read more about our sustainability approach to growing herbs in one of Jekka's Blogs. See also: