Newsletter: 23rd October
Jekkas tips on sowing your winter culinary herbs
At this time of year one of our main activities is propagating for next spring. Our glasshouse is a hive of activity with winter seed sowing, evergreen cuttings, division and Mint root cuttings.
For example, we have recently sown:
- Apium graveolens, Celery Leaf, Wild Celery
- Inula helenium, Elecampane
- Ligusticum scoticum, Scottish Lovage
- Allium tuberosum, Garlic Chives
These seedlings once established will move into one of our poly tunnels which, although are covered and give protecton from the wind and rain, are unheated. They will quite happily winter here and be ready for planting in the spring.
The perfect time to plant a herb garden
This is a wonderful time of year to plant herbs out in the garden as the soil is warm and the pests have all but gone away.
Herbaceous herbs planted now do particularly well because they die back in winter and all the growing energy will go into producing a strong root ball rather than top growth. This means next years’ plants will be much larger healthier plants.
We will be planting Jekka's Herb Garden shortly with a variety of herbaceous perennials including Chives (Allium schoenoprasum), Good King Henry (Chenopodium bonus-henricus), Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis), Lovage (Levisticum officinale), Marsh Mallow (Althaea officinalis), Sorrel (Rumex) and Wild Bergamot (Monarda fistulosa).
Check out our looking good herb list for herbaceous perennial and other herbs available now at Jekka's.
Jekka's Autumn Herb Boxes
We are really pleased to release Jekka's Autumn Herb Boxes containing a mixture of Jekka's evergreen, herbaceous and biennial herbs. Perfect for planting now and providing both winter colour and flavour to soups, salads and comforting winter food.
Jekka's Autumn Culinary Collection Herb Box contains:
- Bronze Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare 'Purpureum')
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
- Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor)
- Wild Rocket (Diplotaxis tenuifolia)
Jekka's Autumn Essential Collection Herb Box contains:
- French Parsley (Petroselinum crispum 'French')
- Lovage (Levisticum officinale)
- Orange Scented Thyme (Thymus 'Fragrantissimus')
- Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)