This is a deliciously aromatic poached pear that uses Jekka's Eastern Promise herbal infusion, which is a combination of Tulsi, Ginger Root, Cinnamon, Turmeric Root and Cardamom Seeds. This pairs really well with Jekka's Bay Ice Cream.
This recipe serves 2
- 3 tea bags (roughly 9 g) of Jekka's Eastern Promise Herbal Infusion
- 1 broad strips of lime zest
- 50 g granulated sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 pears
- Put the tea bags in a saucepan with 800 ml of water, together with the lime zest strips and the sugar, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring to help the sugar dissolve. Leave until cool.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve, pressing down on the herbal infusion to extract as much flavour as possible.
- Add the lime juice.
- Pour this into a broad saucepan with a lid that enables the pears to sit in a single layer.
- Peel the pears but leave the stalks; core from the bottom if you prefer to remove the pips.
- Heat the liquid until simmering and add the pears; they should just be covered. Add more water if required.
- Put some baking parchment on top and cover with the lid.
- How long you need to cook the pears depends on the ripeness of the pears, could be between 10 - 20 minutes. Turn the pears whilst cooking to ensure even colouring. Check my piercing the flesh with a knife that should be tender. Note: pierce the bottom of the pear to protect the presentation side.
- Once cooked, remove from the liquid with a slotted spoon.
- Boil the liquid until you have 350 ml remaining, check the balance and add sugar or lime if required. Leave to cool completely then add the the pears and leave in over night to infuse.
- You can make a syrup from the poaching liquid to serve with the pears by reducing until thicker. Taste and adjust with lime juice as required.