This is an all time favourite and goes well with many things from strawberries to chocolate tart or simply on it's own.
- 200ml milk
- 200ml double cream
- 6 cardamon pods
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Make the crème anglaise/custard:
- Scald the milk and cream with the bay and cardamom in a pan and leave to infuse for at least 20 mins.
- Stir the yolks, sugar and salt (if using) together.
- Pour on the scalded infused milk and cream mixture.
- Return to the rinsed out pan.
- Heat over a low or medium heat until thicken. Check that it coats the back of a spoon and do not allow to boil.
- Strain through a sieve into a metal cool bowl and cool.
Jekka's cheat: buy pre-made custard and infuse with bay and cardamon.
2. Churn the mixture in an ice-cream machine, transfer to a plastic container and freeze until required. Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow tray, cut into chunks and whizz in a food processor and immediately refreeze. Repeat this process when it has just refrozen to create a smooth texture. After second whizzing transfer to a plastic container.
3. Transfer to the refrigerator 20-30 minutes before serving.
If you love the sounds of this recipe and herb-based cooking check out our Master Classes.