This a reliable and tasty recipe that can be served with fruit fools, sorbets or simply on its own. It is taken from Jekka’s Herb Cookbook (pg. 34) and was recently taught on our 'herb based cooking master class' where we used Ocimum basilicum 'Cinnamon' and Ocimum basilicum var. purpurascens 'Dark Opal'
- 100g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g ground almonds
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 large tbsp chopped basil
- Pre heat oven to 180 Deg C / Gas Mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Add the ground almonds, mix well, then add the flour.
- Knead together on a lightly floured board to form a dough.
- Roll the dough in the chopped basil leaves until incorporated.
- Roll into a 5 cm sausage and slice into 1 cm thick slices.
- Place onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove at once and cool on wire rack.