Jekka often makes this chutney for Christmas presents. This chutney is always popular and goes well with cheese and cold meats. Jekka's Myrtle Berry, Apple & Walnut Chutney recipe was taken from Jekka's Herb Cookbook and goes along with the herbs in our Jekka's Perennial Collection Herb Box.
Makes approximately 2.25 kg.
- 900 ml malt vinegar
- 450 g light soft brown sugar
- 12 myrtle berries (fresh if possible)
- 900 kg cooking apples
- 450 g onions, chopped
- 225 g raisins
- 25 g English mustard powder
- 25 g freshly grated root ginger
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 20 g salt
- 110 g walnut pieces
- Put the vinegar and sugar into a large pan and bring to the boil
- Peel, core and roughly chop the apples and add to the pan with all the other ingredients except the walnuts.
- Bring back to the boil
- Cook, stirring more regularly as it thickens, until it is well reduced and thick (remember it will thicken even more once cold).
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the walnuts,
- Spoon the mixture into sterilised jars and seal with vinegar-proof lids.
- This will keep for up to one year.