A lovely straight forward recipe that is ideal to make with children. Serve with cream and jam, or simply butter.
Makes about 8 scones.
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 45 g butter
- 300 ml milk mixed with 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp fresh marigold petals
- Pre heat oven to 220 Deg C / Gas Mark 7.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Rub in the butter and add the milk and the cream of tartar and the marigold petals.
- Mix thoroughly until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn onto a floured board, knead lightly, then roll to about 2 cm thick.
- Use a 5 cm plain cutter and put them onto a lightly floured or lined baking sheet.
- Put in the oven for 12-15 minutes until risen and a golden brown.
- Cool and eat!
From Jekka’s Book A Good Enough to Eat pg. 33