Basil can be used with pasta, tomatoes, salads, sauces, drinks and tisanes. Our recipe for basil pesto can be used to stir through cooked pasta, as a dip or added to potato salad.
Ingredients (makes enough for a small jar):
- 250 g fresh basil leaves, washed, dried and roughly chopped
- 275 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 30 g pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 60 g Parmesan, grated
- Blend the basil leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, pine nuts, garlic and salt until smooth either in a food processor or using a pestle and mortar.
- Scrap into a bowl and stir in the Parmesan.
- Check the seasoning and add extra to taste.
- If storing, put into a sterile screw-top jar and put a layer of olive oil on top before sealing. This will keep for 4 – 6 weeks in the fridge as long as the oil layer is maintained.