It has been a fantastic year for squashes on the farm and this warm lemon savory and squash soup has become a firm favourite.
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 2 kg of squash
- A bunch of lemon savory
- 2 litres vegetable stock; enough to cover squash.
- Orange juice to flavour
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 Deg C.
- Peel and quarter the onions.
- Peel and remove germ from garlic.
- Remove the leaves of the lemon savory from the stem.
- Half, deseed and rough chop the squash.
- Put the squash, onion, lemon savory in an oven proof roasting tray, sprinkle on oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 30 minutes, until the squash is tender and slightly caramelised.
- When cooked add to a large pan over a hob, add enough liquid and stock to cover, bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whiz the soup with a stick blender or pour it into a blender and pulse to a smooth purée – leave it slightly chunky, if you prefer or add water/stock to dilute further.
- Season with orange juice, salt and pepper, then divide between bowls.
If you love the sounds of this recipe and herb-based cooking check out our Master Classes.